Top 7 Ways You Can Help Chickens!
1) Swap out chicken and eggs for their cruelty-free counterparts. Participating in Meatless Monday or otherwise cutting back on the animal products you eat is a good place to start. It's easier than you might think to cook without chicken or eggs! Find delicious recipes by renowned chefs here.
2) Read more about chicken issues. We recommend these books.
3) Teach children to respect chickens. Don’t buy chicks on a whim for Easter. Fight hatching projects in schools. Chicken-friendly curricula and hatching project alternatives are available here:
4) Boycott all forms of chicken cruelty and exploitation. If you witness an act of cruelty, stand up for what is right. Contact the police, your local SPCA or Humane Society, and chicken advocacy groups, if necessary for the situation to be taken seriously.
5) Support chicken advocacy organizations. (see some helpful links below!)
6) Visit a farmed animal sanctuary and meet rescued chickens for yourself.
7) If you decide you want chickens in your life, adopt, don’t buy, and make sure you have the knowledge and resources to care for them properly for the rest of their lives.
Here are a few links to chicken advocacy organizations. Do your own research into organizations and support those that share your personal beliefs and mission:
Here are a few resources on caring for rescued chickens: